Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Show Me While You're Strong






         James Blake is a singer-songwriter/electronic producer from England. When it comes to his career, he's still in the very early stages. He has only released two studio albums, the most recent of which getting him a Grammy nomination. The track I am choosing to show you is called "Retrograde" which is off of his album "Overgrown", released in April of last year. Before I say anything about the track let me talk about James Blake as a musician. In my opinion he is a minimalist when it comes to producing and song-writing. By this I mean if you actually analyze the songs he does, you find there's very little going on. For example, in the song I'm showing you, it's him singing, a piano and a synth, and a drum track. His song writing is the same way, sometimes he will literally say a phrase over and over again the whole song. So why is this guy Grammy nominated? One word, Soul. I've said it once and I'll say it again James Blake is one of the most soulful musicians right now. I literally don't even know what he's saying sometimes, but it doesn't matter, because I feel the soul. This track is hands down one of my favorite songs of all time. I would be honored if you would listen.

P.S He's also Kanye's favorite artist



No comments:

Post a Comment