Thursday, January 9, 2014

Pain Reliever + Don't Come Close

SZA (pronounced Sizza) is a singer/songwriter from New Jersey, who just so happens to be the first female artist to sign with T.D.E (Top Dawg Entertainment). T.D.E is the record label run by Kendrick Lamar and the other members of Black Hippy, who have already established themselves very strongly in music already. SZA however, is still in the very early stages in her career. She's only released two EP's so far, and has a couple of mixtapes. I honestly don't know how to describe the music that she makes, because it is so different. That is why her songs have a lot of variety, and is also why I chose to show you two tracks by her.




       1.The first song is called "Advil" of her mixtape "See SZA Run", and it is too smooth. She really showcases voice on this one. What I like about this track is the background vocals on it. They really work to create just a relaxed and soothing atmosphere. On top of that her voice is just butter, man. It just floats so effortlessly over everything.  I also like how the beat samples Kid Cudi to go with the subject matter of her song. It's a really cool track.



     2. The second one is called "Teen Spirit" of her EP titled "S" and has more of a eerie vibe. I really like the production by WondaGurl on this one and how the song goes to so many different places. It starts out kind of soft and foreboding, and then at 1:27 it just switches up to this hard trap-like drum pattern that just elevates the energy of the track a ton. I never realized how much I like beautiful singing over hard ass beats before I heard this song, but now I do. This track is too cool.  

No comments:

Post a Comment