Thursday, July 31, 2014

One Deep Ass Ocean












When I first heard “Ocean” I anticipated what I expect of most guitar solos: to be impressed by the mechanics and to appreciate the difficulty level; little else. Within ten seconds of  steel string bliss, though, I already felt transported. Yes, Butler did meet my standards--his hymn boasts complexity, technical finesse, and an epic finish-- but what really makes this instrumental standout is it’s euphoric storytelling. The tension-then-release pattern mimics the water itself, placing the listener at shore and letting him surrender to each wave’s hypnotic pull. Dubbed by Butler as a prayer, “Ocean” is an intense tribute to nature and a spiritual resignation to music. It’s beautiful, and engaging in a way only the best music can be, so I hope you're taken on the same journey I was. Although this tune is a definite favorite, you should check out jams like “I’d Do Anything” and “Johnny’s Gone” to get a taste of Butler’s Anthony Kiedis-like voice and his trio’s eclectic score of funk, reggae, and rock.

No comments:

Post a Comment